Dogs have coats of fur that make it hard for them to cool down during summer. Apart from ensuring a consistent supply of water at home, an occasional icy treat will be a delight to beat the heat.
We’ve compiled some easy dog ice cream recipes from 10 pet experts that don’t require any special tools to make. All you need is a blender, ice cube tray and freezer!
Each recipe can be easily tweaked based on your desired serving size and taste preferences.
Homemade Dog Ice Cream Recipes Suggested by Experts
1. Peanut Butter and Banana
- 3 bananas
- 1 cup of sugar-free peanut butter
- 4 cups / 32 oz of fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
Benefits of Peanut butter
Pick a peanut butter that’s raw, unsalted and doesn’t contain xylitol (highly toxic to dogs).
Benefits of Banana
Benefits of Yogurt
Pick a yogurt that’s plain/unflavoured and doesn’t contain xylitol. Don’t feed yogurt to your dog if he’s lactose intolerant.
1. With the scooping spatula, take out the Greek yogurt into a blender.
2. Measure 1 cup of peanut butter and add the 3 peeled bananas.
3. Measure 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
4. Mix all the ingredients in the blender until a creamy, homogenous consistency is reached (use a whisker if you don’t have a blender).
5. Add the mix into an ice cube tray. Make sure it’s even distributed equally.
6. Freeze the mix for 3 hours.
7. Break the separate ice cubes apart to reveal singular treats.
8. Let your furry baby enjoy the ice cold feast!Contributed by Hermes Maldonado, Digital Marketing Assistant at Honest Paws
Also backed by Sarah Bond, Author of For The Love of Popsicles
2. Strawberry and Cucumber
- 7 strawberries
- 1/4 cucumber
- 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt
Optional: drop some dog treats in before you pour in the mixture so there’s an added treat on the top of the ice cream!
Benefits of Strawberry
Strawberries also contain an enzyme that can help dogs to whiten their teeth.
Benefits of Cucumber
- Chop the strawberries and cucumber and place into your blender.
- Add plain yoghurt in.
- Start your blender and blend until the ingredients have mixed together to create a creamy consistency.
- Pour your mixture into a freezable container or ice lolly moulds and place in your freezer for at least 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, get your homemade ice cream out for your dogs to enjoy!
- 5 cups of frozen watermelon
- 1/4 cup yogurt (For lactose sensitive dogs, you can substitute the yogurt with coconut milk or coconut yogurt)
Benefits of Watermelon
1. Thoroughly wash the watermelon.
2. Cut 2 cups of watermelon and remove the seeds.
3. Put diced watermelon in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
4. Put 1/4 cup of yogurt in a blender or food processor.
5. Add 1.5 cups of frozen watermelon into the mix.
6. Blend in the processor and add additional yogurt or watermelon as needed to adjust texture and flavour.
7. Serve while cold. Refreeze the ice cream if needed.Contributed by Kiki Kane, dog chef with Rover.com
4. Pumpkin Puree
- 4 cups / 32 oz of plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar-free peanut butter
Benefits of Pumpkin
1. In a large bowl mix together the honey, pumpkin, and peanut butter until consistency is smooth. (You may need to warm the peanut butter and honey to make it easier to stir.)
2. Slowly add your yogurt until all is mixed and well.
3. Pour into freezer-safe containers and freeze for at least 2 hours.
4. Treat your pup to some gelato!
5. Blueberries and Goat’s Milk
- 1 cup of raw goat’s milk
- 30 blueberries
Benefits of Blueberry
Benefits of Goat’s Milk
1. Mix blueberries and raw goats milk in a blender until it’s the consistency of a smoothie.
2. Pour the mixture into an ice tray and let it freeze overnight.
3. Serve your pup their delicious homemade snack the next day!
The amount of raw goat’s milk you can give your pup in a day would depend on his weight.
|Weight of Dog||Maximum Daily Serving|
|< 9kg||2 oz / 55 ml|
|9kg – 18kg||4 oz / 115 ml|
|18kg – 27kg||6 oz / 175 ml|
|27kg – 36kg||8 oz / 235 ml|
|> 36kg||10 oz / 295 ml|
6. Bacon Bits and Peanut Butter
- 1 1/2 cup of plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Bacon bits
As bacon is high in salt and fat, you should feed your dog in moderation.
A good alternative is to make your own bacon so you can control the amount of salt added.
You can also replace this protein with pork or chicken.
1. Cook bacon until it’s crisp (I prefer to cook them in an air fryer).
2. Break the bacon into small pieces with a meat tenderiser or rolling pin.
3. Mix the yogurt, peanut butter, water and bacon in a large bowl until it’s chunky. You’ll see ribbons of peanut butter throughout.
4. Spoon the mix into silicone cupcake moulds.
5. Freeze it overnight.
Tip 1: You can also add a dog biscuit to the top of the ice cream to make it look pretty!
Tip 2: Freeze the treats in Tupperware so that the freezer doesn’t end up smelling like bacon.
7. Oatmeal and Cinnamon
- 1 peeled small banana
- 3/4 cup / 180g of cooked oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 cup / 280g of low-fat or non-fat plain yogurt
Benefits of Oatmeal
Benefits of Cinnamon
- Using a fork, mash the banana in a bowl until there are no chunks.
- Mix the oatmeal and cinnamon with the banana.
- Add the yogurt into the mix and stir until they’re mixed well together.
- Transfer the mixture into an airtight container and place it in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
Consume within 2 months!Written by Gemma Stafford, Founder of Bigger Bolder Baking
8. Strawberry and Coconut Butter
- 4 cups / 32 oz of low-fat or non-fat plain yogurt
- cup of pure coconut butter
- 1 cup of strawberries
Benefits of Coconut Butter/Oil
- Wash strawberries thoroughly until clean.
- Add all ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into ice cube trays or an airtight container.
- Freeze for a few hours or overnight.
This recipe makes about 4.5 to 5 cups of ice cream.Written by Capree Kimball, Managing Editor of Dog Milk
9. Carob Chips
- 1 1/2 cups / 12 oz of low-fat or non-fat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup of carob chips
- 1 tablespoon of honey
Benefits of Carob Chips
Carob also contains a wide range of vitamins and minerals.
- Pour all ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- Once they’re well-combined, pour the mixture into ice cube trays or an airtight container.
- Freeze overnight.
10. Chicken and Chicken Stock
- 2 cups of chicken
- 1 cup of chicken stock (low in fat and sodium)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced small and frozen
- 1 cup low-fat, low-sodium, onion free chicken stock
- Optional: Veggie puree as a doggy sundae topping
Benefits of Chicken
- Cut the chicken into small bite-sized pieces and cook them through.
- Place chicken in fridge until frozen.
- Put frozen, cooked chicken into a blender.
- Add the chicken stock into the blender every few seconds and blend till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into an airtight container and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Take it out from the freezer and blend it for a bit.
- Place it back into the freezer for another 30 minutes.
- Repeat this process till the consistency of the ice cream is right.
What Ingredients Can I Feed My Dog?
No matter what ingredients you use, ensure that you’re well aware of your dog’s allergies. Generally, you should be avoiding anything that is sugary, salty and contains xylitol.
If you’re unsure, consult your veterinarian for expert advice and suitable serving portions.
Anything that may cause choking should be mashed or chopped into smaller pieces. This aids digestion as well.